Tuesday, November 11, 2014

[Mason Chronicle] Athlete Dieting

The diet of football players include pasta, fruit, and a strong performance.

According to Junior Ty Sponseller, eating right helps the team push through tiring fourth quarters.

“Once you get towards the end of the game,” Sponseller said. “And you see the other team kind of starting to fold in the fourth quarter being tired… I think that our team’s still going to be ready to go, because of the physical shape we’ve got ourselves in.”

Sponseller also said staying hydrated is a big part of pushing through. 

“I can tell a difference between when I’ve hydrated and I didn’t hydrate as soon as I get out there.” Sponseller said. “I’m like, ‘Dang, I should’ve drank more.’ You just have to make sure you’re hydrated well.”

Assistant coach Barak Faulk said planning food choices throughout the year is the best way to getting stronger.

“I’ve seen it every year,” Faulk said. “If you’re set [on a schedule], it’s easier to eat if you’ve done it; if you purge yourself, it just works to our disadvantage.”

Faulk also said scheduling helps improve on-field concentration.

“As long as you’re consistent,” Faulk said, “I think that helps your concentration, but varying types, and varying times, it really gets your metabolism all not knowing what’s happening.”

Senior Isaiah Nkansah said he follows the schedule advice, at the same time has found what works for him.

“I kind of go on my own plan,” Nkansah said. “But I don’t put in like a bunch of junk food and stuff. 

I’ve improved a lot over the years, [especially] my sophomore and senior years.”

Nkansah also said eating breakfast helps him concentrate, even late in the day.


“I try not to eat too much,” Nkansah said. “I’ve never thrown up during football, but I eat enough to where I’ll have the energy and I won’t pass out or anything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment